Sausage and Egg Casserole
- 1 pound bulk pork sausages Buy
- 6 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon ground mustard
- 6 slices white bread, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 2 cups 2% milk
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 teaspoon salt
How to cook
- In a skillet, brown and crumble sausage; drain and set aside. In a large bowl, beat eggs; add milk, salt and mustard. Stir in bread cubes, cheese and sausage.
- Pour into a greased 11x7-in. baking dish. Cover and refrigerate for 8 hours or overnight. Remove from the refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 40 minutes or until a knife inserted in center comes out clean.
Crispy garlicky chicken
- 2 x 120 g free-range skinless chicken breasts
- 2 thick slices of seeded wholemeal bread , (75g each)
- 1 clove of garlic
- 1 lemon
- 50 g rocket
How to cook
- Place the chicken breasts between two large sheets of greaseproof paper, and whack with the base of a large non-stick frying pan to flatten them to about 1cm thick.
- Tear the bread into a food processor, then peel, chop and add the garlic, and blitz into fairly fine crumbs.
- Pour the crumbs over the chicken, roughly pat on to each side, then re-cover with the paper and whack again, to hammer the crumbs into the chicken and flatten them further.
- Put the pan on a medium heat. Fry the crumbed chicken in 1 tablespoon of olive oil for 3 minutes on each side, or until crisp, golden and cooked through.
- Slice, plate up, season to perfection with sea salt and black pepper, sprinkle with lemon-dressed rocket, and serve with lemon wedges, for squeezing over.
- 2 large aubergines , (800g total)
- 300 g sirloin steak , (ideally 1.5cm thick)
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 300 g ripe mixed-colour cherry tomatoes
- ½ a bunch of fresh basil , (15g)
How to cook
- Prick the aubergines, then microwave in a covered bowl on high for 10 minutes, or until soft.
- Meanwhile, pull the fat off the sirloin and place the fat in a large cold non-stick frying pan.
- Put on a medium-high heat to render as it heats up, moving it around to coat the pan, while you cut off the sinew, then rub the steak with a pinch of sea salt and black pepper.
- Peel and finely slice the garlic, and halve the tomatoes.
- Sear the steak in the hot pan for 2 minutes on each side for medium, or to your liking, then remove to a plate to rest, discarding the piece of fat.
- Sprinkle the garlic straight into the pan. Discard the aubergine stalks, chop up the flesh and add to the pan with any tasty juices, then toss in the tomatoes for 2 minutes.
- Tear in most of the basil leaves, stir in 1 tablespoon of red wine vinegar, taste and season to perfection, and plate up.
- Slice the steak, place on top, pick over the remaining basil, then drizzle with 1 teaspoon of extra virgin olive oil and the resting juices.